Wednesday, April 27, 2016

So what if my boy likes pink

^^This is my Dax.
 He oozes awesomeness.  He is smart, athletic, witty, a leader, funny, and a little stinker who is turning my hair gray.
 Yesterday he got his little world turned upside down and mama bear is not so happy about it.
The kids in his class made fun of him.  
I don't care if you are six. I will meet you after school at the monkey bars.
 
He has been saving his pride tickets at school all year long for a backpack (pride tickets are tickets they earn for good behavior, work done, etc then they get to buy stuff with them)   
Backpacks are 400 tickets which is like ten million dollars in adult money.  I'm being dramatic but you know what I mean. 
 
He was super excited when he went to the pride store to make his purchase.  The lady there told him the only backpack left was pink and asked if he still wanted it.  He said yes because he likes pink.
Then he went back to class and the little monsters in there made fun of him.  Just an fyi I had several other words typed before I put monsters but I'm trying to be more Christlike, and ladylike, so I switched it. Look at me making progress.  
Here's his backpack he worked so hard to get.
He was happy about it.  Until those dang kids were mean. Then he was embarrassed.  He finally had one little friend of his lean over and tell him he liked pink too.  That kid rocks. 
I told him I would call his teacher and see if he could switch it for something different. I also told him that he didn't have to take it to school if kids were going to be mean. He could just use it for his toys and books at home.  He opted to keep it and store his treasures in it.
 I threatened my other boys that if they so much as made one mean comment about him having a girls backpack they would be scrubbing walls/dishes/toilets for the next 50 years.

 
Why can't my boy like pink?  What is so wrong with the world that my 6 year old has to have his feelings crushed because he got what HE wanted and what HE worked so hard for.  
Makes me wonder how many times I've made someone feel bad for choices they have made.  I'm sure I've done it on numerous occasions and didn't even realize it.  Why does it take someone hurting my kid for me to open my eyes?
 
Everyone is different.  People should be able to like what they want without having to feel ashamed about it.  That's what makes the world go round.  How boring would it be if everyone was carrying a red backpack.
 
Dax you keep doing what you want buddy.  Don't let people make you feel bad when they are mean. Unfortunately, it's probably going to get worse before it gets better. The people who make fun of you are the wrong ones. Not you.  Hold strong to your values and beliefs.  If you do you will go far in life.  Then one day when you have a fantastic life you can look back on those people and know you didn't stoop to their level.  I know you.  I know you are kindhearted and strong and are probably helping those kids in class today who made fun of you yesterday.  That's why you win.   You are the good in the world.  Always remember to be the good. 


2 comments:

  1. THIS MAKES ME SO MAD!!! ugh, kids. people in general. you tell that cute kid that us dc peeps like pink AND that backpack, and we think he's just awesome. rock that backpack, dax!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Boys can like pink for heavens sake! Girls like blue, green, brown or whatever other color is supposed to be boyish. So what the heck! Only REAL men like pink or wear pink. Who in the heck said pink is only a girl color! I like the backpack, it is awesome for a totally awesome and cool little man!! Don't mess with my grandboy!!!! I love my Dax!!!

    ReplyDelete