Sunday, August 27, 2017

Goodbye, Tina.

So Dilon is my busy-body child.  He always has to be in a sport or have some sort of a project.  This year since he isn't playing football (thanks a lot $500 fee) he decided he wanted to do a lamb for the fair with his buddies.  
1-we don't know the first thing about lambs
2-we have nowhere to keep a lamb
3- it's a lot of work
so when his buddies mom asked him if he wanted to do it the answer should have been an obvious no thanks. Instead it was "sure, I can take care of a lamb.  No problem".

So with the help of good friends and winging it we got a lamb ready to sell.  And I do say we because this turned into a family affair.  A family that cleans poop off a lamb's butt together, stays together.








 ^^This picture is just before he went into the auction to sell Tina.  
He was a bit nervous (I was way more than a bit nervous for him) Nate was supposed to be in charge of helping Dilon at the auction but ended up with Dax at his football game.  So I stayed with Dilon to "help" get her sold.  He let me know numerous times that he wished Nate was there.  I don't know why he thought I should know how to auction off a lamb. They legit comb and hairspray these animals.  It's serious business, but he got her sold and all is well. 
It really is a lot of work for these kids.  I am super proud for Dilon stepping out of his comfort zone and always being willing to learn something new. 

Then this morning he had to go help clean up the barn and get the lambs loaded to haul away. 
As he was explaining the process to me and how they load them all in a semi, some of which they have to tase to get on (what?!?!), I wondered why anyone ever does this.  Poor, poor Tina. 

Overall I would give the experience a B+. We learned a lot, the boys want to do it again next year, and I was able to see a side of the fair that I've never seen.  When it comes to the fair I've never really cared about anything other than food, food, and food.  But to see the community come together to help these kids out was amazing. People make fun of small town Tremonton but I'll take it any day.  There is a lot of good around these parts. 

Until next year.

No comments:

Post a Comment