Thursday, April 19, 2018

I do NOT heart Mexico

My blog has definitely been neglected lately because life is crazy. But sometimes life is just crazy enough you have to take the time to blog about it.

So Nate and I took a little adventure to Mexico last week. What did we do? Something fun and exciting you ask? Not quite.  
Nate decided to change his life and opted to have weight loss surgery:
-No this post is not about that (we'll save that for a rainy day).
-No the decision to do it was not made lightly. Trust me, we have heard from plenty of people why they thought he shouldn't do it. Don't judge us, we won't judge you (probably).
 All went well with the surgery and I survived my outing for a street taco so win/win.
I have never seen Nate sleep so much in my entire life.
Daaayyyyysssss. The man slept for days.
 Anyway, he finally woke up enough for us to return to the beautiful U.S of A.  So off to the airport we go.  We were in Tijuana (again, stop judging) and flying in and out of San Diego.  Our hotel was probably about a 15 minute drive to the boarder (Mexico side). It took us 2 hours.  Holy traffic, man.  Two depressing hours of people standing outside your car window wanting you to buy their authentic Mexican goods. Anything from tacos to tiaras. They offered it all. As we were waiting for our turn to cross the boarder we are asking our driver if she has ever seen anything crazy there.  She has lived there her whole life and crossed countless times.  Not one issue for her.  Nothing.  Leave it to the Wright's to make it a first for her. 
Finally we hit the boarder, hand the lady our passports and expect to go on our merry way.  She scans mine, all clear. A+ gold star student here. She scans Nate's looks at him and says:
 "Nathan......do you have something you need to take care of in Gerogia?" 
"Nope, never been to Georgia before."
"Uh huh, follow the yellow line, sir."
We got taken out of the 2 hour wait to cross the boarder and had to follow the yellow line.  Not the yellow line. Anything but the yellow line.  
I see a little bit of fear in the drivers eyes and start to get a little concerned.
We pull aside.  
Several agents look at Nate, look at a computer screen. Look at Nate, look at a computer screen....lather, rinse, repeat.  Multiple agents, multiple looks. 
They come ask us several questions and at this point I'm wishing I would have put on a double layer of deodorant for the day. 
Then they say the words I never thought I would hear in my life time.  "Nathan we have to arrest you and take you in for questioning."  Excuse me?!?  What am I supposed to do?  I need more deodorant so bad at this point.  
Nate steps out of the car and gets cuffs slapped on his wrists.  Careful fellas, he just had half his stomach cut away, lets not hurt him please. 
So off he goes.  Will I ever see my husband again? Should I wait for the father of my children or head for the airport to get the hell out of there.
I opted to choose the "wright" (ha, see what I did there?) and stay behind with my man.  
At this point I'm sure days have passed.   
The driver and I have been asked to exit the vehicle and they bring in the dogs. All clear!
Finally, an hour later,  he emerges from the depths of hell.  Hallelujah.  I know, I just know, I heard angels singing. 

Handcuffs - check
Fingerprints - check 
Body search - check
Ankle chained to a metal table - check, check

Handcuffs and ankle chains on Saturday, Bishop suit on Sunday.  That's normal, right?

Apparently there is a Nathan Wright in Georgia who is wanted and must look similar to my man. 
I can't tell you the relief it was to get on that airplane and head for home sweet home.
 The biggest downside to all of this....I didn't think to hurry and snap a pic of him getting hauled off in handcuffs.  That could have come in real handy at some point in time.

Never again Mexico.  Never, ever again.

1 comment:

  1. MEL! i about died when mike told me. your written version is so much better. tragic, yet utterly hilarious in hindsight. so glad everyone made it out alive & well.

    ReplyDelete