Sunday, November 17, 2013

Happy Diaversary, not so Happy Sabbath

Well we made it through our first year of dealing with diabetes.  Happy Diaversary Dilon!  Sure it may seem strange to some to celebrate diabetes.  It's not something really worth celebrating is it?  Heck yeah it is.  If you have to check your blood sugars every time you eat, feel funny, go to bed, or exercise by poking your finger you darn well better celebrate how awesome you are.


(This picture doesn't really do much justice but no, those aren't dirty finger tips.  Those are his battle scars.)

If you have to count carbs just to stay alive and have memorized numerous portion sizes along with the number of carbs, you darn well better celebrate.  If you have to wake up every couple of hours during the night because your blood sugars are crazy high just to make sure they are coming down, you darn well better celebrate.  If you have to wear a permanent accessory (aka insulin pump) just to stay alive, you had darn well better celebrate.  Okay...i'm done. 
  At this time a year ago we still had no idea how sick he was.  Fast forward an hour later to a doctor appointment and being told  "your son has diabetes, I can either call an ambulance or you can get in your car and head straight to Primary Children's Hospital" can sure turn your world around quickly.  

Me and dil spent our night last night fighting high's just to have him crash at 3:30 am.  Then we started fighting lows.  We finally got some uninterrupted sleep at about 4:30.  I've decided having diabetes is like having a newborn in the house again.  Some nights you sleep, some nights you don't.  
Nothing like chilling with mom and drinking juice at 4am. 
 Okay, confession...I made him re-enact this so I could get a picture.  Obviously, right?  Seriously though who in their right mind thinks to take a picture at 4 am when they are basically a walking zombie just so they have something to blog about.  Just pretend its a little darker and he is not so bright eyed and bushy tailed.


I can't say enough how proud I am of Dilon and the battle he is fighting every day with this disease.  He's much stronger than me that's for sure.  One day there will be a cure.  I just know it. 


On a completely unrelated topic Grif decided to start the Sabbath day by kicking another hole in my wall.  This destructive behavior is going to be the death of me, so we need to come up with a solution very quickly on what we can do to help him control his temper.  Seriously, I will take any and all suggestions right now.  My OCD can't handle another hole in the wall. 


3 comments:

  1. you guys are troopers! go, dil! it seems like an incredibly challenging battle that never gives either of you a break. (i kind of love the juxtaposition of poor dilon's finger's battle scars… and grif's self-imposed scars on your walls. you're such a good mom to all those boys! love it!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. When our son did that, Jeff made him pay for it, and help fix it. Sorry.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Go Dilon! You guys inspire me. More than ever now knowing what you are going through. I think it is as much work for you, if not more, than it is for him. I still am so thankful that I talked to you after his diagnosis. It is my goal not to keep my mouth shut about diabetes in hopes that I can help someone else like you did to me. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete