Sunday, November 24, 2013

Time to wrestle, boys

So i'm always trying my hardest to find something Grif likes that will get him active.  He can't sit in his room and play with legos forever, right?  He agreed to sign up for wrestling this year and was actually pretty excited about it. Then we got to the first practice and he cried.  The other kids were hurting him and he didn't want to be mean back.  Funny because he has no problem hurting/wrestling his brothers.  We convinced him it was okay to wrestle back and that it would be fun.  Well he stuck with it for a few weeks then decided the last week he was done. I could not for the life of me get him to get ready for practice or compete in the tournament.  I guess when the kid knows he doesn't like something he's not going to waste his time.  According to him he is never, ever wrestling again. Ever.  At least he gave it a good try, now he's back to legos on the floor.  Maybe i'm raising a future engineer.  
Dilon, on the other hand will play any and all sports if I let him.  He wanted to play basketball so I told him no wrestling then, it had to be one or the other.  Then I discovered that wrestling was about half the price of basketball so me being the super awesome mom that I am convinced him that he should wrestle instead.  Luckily he went along with it.  He wrestled when he was 5 or 6 but not since.  I was pleasantly surprised at how well he did.  He only lost twice all season and it was to the same kid. 

Their team got 2nd place in the tourney and the coach was nice enough to come find grif and let him get a medal with the rest of the team.  

Again, I am a super awesome mom and have no pictures of grif actually wrestling.  I thought it would be most convenient to just take them all the last day.   Lesson learned--always, always take pictures the first week just in case.  You never know when a strong willed child will decide the season is over.




Dilon is super excited for next year when he gets to advance to the older group of boys.  Then he gets to start rocking the singlet.  Another reason it is probably best Grif decided not to wrestle.  Can you imagine the fight we would have trying to get him to put one of those things on.  They couldn't even get him to take off his shirt when they were doing shirts vs. skins.  I do love that when he makes a decision though he sticks to his guns instead of letting others sway him.  That will come in handy some day.  I know it.

No comments:

Post a Comment