Monday, July 2, 2012

another life lesson

I love it when I can learn something new (unless it is something Nate was right about and I was miserably wrong about, then I can do without those).  This last little lesson in life could have been skipped all together and it would have been just fine.  Here's a little tidbit of advise for ya:  NEVER EVER EVER EVER schedule two surgeries between spouses six weeks apart, especially when the first one wasn't healed all the way.  What the heck was I thinking.  I know what I was thinking, I was thinking I didn't want to die from the goiter that was choking me in the wee hours of  the night.  Now I am thinking I should have taken my chances for a couple more months.  I posted earlier about nate's foot surgery a few weeks ago.  Well I went in to get my thyroid removed exactly 6 weeks from the day nate had his surgery.  Nate got off of crutches on Tuesday and I went under the knife on Thursday.  They said my surgery wasn't too bad so I figured it would be fine.  Poor nate has had to do a lot of running to help me and his foot is so swollen he can't even get his ugly, never should have been invented because they are not the least bit flattering, crocs on.  His leg looks like a tree trunk and his foot, well that just looks like an overinflated foot balloon.  I am grateful though because I am feeling better everyday.  Four kids can just wear ya right out.  Thank heavens for good family.  Nate's family had the boys for a few days and my shitster (sorry I can't help it. not appropriate, but there is a super funny story that goes with that) has picked up the rest of the slack.  Grandma Taco flies in from Ooooooooklahoma -where the wind comes sweepin down the plain-today so that will be nice to have her here for a day or two before she starts her, as moe would call it, totally awesome alaskan adventure.  (I swear, i'm not still on pain pills. This really is just how lame I am).

I was having, yet again, another stupid mom moment on Wednesday and left my flat iron plugged in while I went to switch the laundry.  Baylor decided it was time to explore, went into the bathroom, pulled it off the counter, and picked it up... by the hot part.  I thought dax was killing him he was screaming so loud.  Took him to the doc and he had deep 2nd degree burns. He said we were lucky, it was almost another trip to Primary's with him.  Then I had to turn around and ship him to Heber for a few days.  Super big thank you to grandma squeaker for taking him back to the doc and taking care of him when I couldn't.
I think he is flipping me the bird in that picture.  I would be too.


Glad to have both surgeries over.  Ready to be back to 100%.  We are almost there though so that is good.  I have realized how grateful I am for good health.  Even with our annoying little struggles we are so healthy and blessed.  I can't imagine what some people go through on a daily basis.  This makes me appreciate life and all that I have.  I need to quit complaining and realize just how good everything is.

Now I can officially say I am cutthroat.  Not entirely sure that is a good thing.

p.s.  by far the worst part of the surgery was having the suction tube yanked out of my neck before I came home.  That sucker was long and the dang surgeon (who told me it wouldn't be too bad) just kept pulling and pulling and pulling.  I pretty much passed out on the bed.  Nate didn't even hold my hand.  So just a heads up, if you ever have your thyroid removed be prepared for the drainage tube coming out. It's super Awesome!

No comments:

Post a Comment