Monday, February 1, 2016

Counting my blessings #2

continuing my previous post on how stinking blessed I am. 

** Then there's my Dilon.  He's got more heart than most kids I know.  If you know him he's a bit on the small side. He loves sports but has to work extra hard to make up for his lack of size.  This is his second year wrestling and his goal was to come home from state with a medal.  Last year he came home empty handed and broken hearted and didn't want that to happen again.  He pumped himself up all week for this meet.  And guess what?  He came home with a sixth place medal.  Funny story though, he didn't win any matches.  He wrestled his little heart out, I was proud of how hard he wrestled. Since he is such a lightweight his bracket only had 7 kids in it.  He was ranked higher than a couple other kids so he automatically got to go for 5/6th place even though he hadn't won any matches. One kid he really did have the kid pinned twice and the ref wouldn't call it.  Don't know what that was about but that was another one of those moments when nate was screaming on the side line.  The great thing is Dilon can laugh about the whole situation.  Plus his attitude with all of it is still awesome.  We told him he had to win a match at state to go to super state because it's much harder competition.  He is begging us to let him go.  He told Nate "I can't be the best if I don't wrestle the best".  Man, I really hope that attitude sticks with him in life.  How do you say no to a kid who knows he is probably going to get his trash kicked by the best wrestlers out there and still wants to compete. 

**My grif, what's not to love about him.  Someone asked him the other day if his shoes were DC's.  He replied very matter of fact with a "nope, they're Utah's".  Where does he come up with this stuff?  A couple weeks ago at school they had a market day.  The kids have been earning fake money at school then they all bring stuff to sale.  He got himself a couple things then spent some of his hard earned money on a painted sign that said "LOVE" and gave it to me.  Two things about that really struck me.  1- he was trying to help his friend out who handmade that sign to bring. 2- he thought of me!  He could have bought whatever he wanted but he spent his hard earned money on his mom.  He rocks!



No comments:

Post a Comment