Tuesday, November 20, 2012

and so begins our journey with diabetes



There is one thing I need to learn to do in life.  Keep my mouth shut.  I was so excited when nate finished up all his math in school.  When we saw his last passing grade the first thing out of my mouth was "no more math EVER!  Hallelujah".  Now his math is all screwed up and he will most likely be retaking some.  I always make comments about no one being sick then without fail someone will have the flu the next day.  I will say I love my calling in church so what happens?  I get released into a challenging one.  The most recent was this weekend.  I very clearly remember the day we walked out the doors of Primary Children's Hospital with Baylor for the last time.  I remember saying out loud that would be the last time we had to do that.  Someone please kick me for saying it.  We just spent this last weekend there.  You know, we were bored and didn't have any plans for the weekend besides Nate getting caught up on homework, so we decided it would be fun to go back for a little visit.  We found out Dilon has type 1 diabetes.  

Let me rewind a bit.  About a month ago dilon stared wetting the bed (it would probably be best if no one mention to dilon that I just shared that little tidbit of information.  It might not make a 9 year old very happy to know his mom is over sharing).  Anyway it kept happening over and over.  Then I started paying attention to how much he was peeing during the day.  Insane amounts of urine were coming out of the boy.  He was drinking water by the gallons like it was nothing.  Then I noticed he really looked like a skeleton.  I mean the kid is skin and bones anyway so when he loses even a quarter of a pound (i'm sure there's some better weight term to use there but don't know what it is right now so i'm going to stick with quarter of a pound) it is noticeable.  I kept bugging nate, should we take him to the doc?  Do you think something is really wrong?  Am I overreacting?  Will you call them because the people at the doctors office are sick of me. I am there too much.  etc etc.   Finally on Saturday he was sick of listening to me and called the doc.  So in we went.  Obviously they had him pee in a cup.  As soon as the doc walked in he wanted to know if dilon had any pop for breakfast.  Now, I know I am a cool mom but pop for breakfast....no.   He took one look at me and said I am positive this is diabetes.  His urine test was reading as high as it could.  He told us he could ship us to the hospital and have us sent by ambulance to Primary Children's or I could walk out the door and head straight there.  Since we know just how much fun it is to pay for life flight I figured I would save a few pennies and not opt for the ambulance ride.  Plus dilon heard ambulance and started to freak.  

As great as Primary's is, I was not thrilled to be back there.  They admitted him for a couple of days to get him back to par and to give Nate and I a crash course in diabetes.  By Sunday dilon was giving himself shots.  He was also asking questions to the nurses that I would have never even thought to ask.  I keep telling myself if this had to happen to one of our kids it happened to the right one.  I can't even imagine trying to have grif give himself a shot.  This ended up being like a mini vacation for him.  He wasn't feeling sick so he thought it was pretty awesome that cute nurses were waiting on him hand and foot, that he had his own playstation in his room, and people were bringing him presents. 

 Download 2012-11-18_17-35-02_273.jpg (1161.7 KB)


I have to give a big shout out to all of our great family who, again, helped out with the other boys, came to visit, called 100 times a day (yes mom, that would be you) and my favorite, bought me and nate food.  Anyone who will bring me food is a friend for life.  I don't know what I would do without such great people surrounding us.  Life is good.

I know this will be challenging.  It is all so overwhelming right now. I worry about what dilon will face in the future.  I just have to keep repeating "The future is as bright as your faith"..... and I want our future to be blinding.


2 comments:

  1. Wow, you guys definitely have your share of challenges. I cant imagine me giving myself a shot, so thats awesome that Dilon can do it. Please let us know if there is anything we can do for you guys!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know this story all to well. When we heard, no body knew which one of the boys it was, I knew it was your oldest. Your not alone in this and if you have any questions at all you have two great sources in the ward who are more than willing to help, most likely we have been through it. Never hesitate to call!

    ReplyDelete