Friday, November 30, 2012

Just a little randomness

Let's start by saying Merry Christmas to me.  This is my early and unwanted Christmas present....I sound ungrateful, not that I am trying to be.  I just didn't want to pay for a darn computer right now.



You see when Dilon was in the hospital a couple of weeks ago I was missing my other kiddos.  Aunt Karissa took pity on me and brought them to the hospital. Well me being the smart one that I am set our laptop on the floor of the hospital room.  Next thing I know Baylor was break dancing on it -or just standing on it, either way little chubbers broke the screen. Nate has been trying to do homework on a computer that is all distorted.  It doesn't look that bad until you stare at it for 10 minutes then you end up in some sort of a trance that leaves you with double vision and a headache from hell for a week.  That's what I get for missing my kids and thinking they need to visit me, uh I mean dilon, at the hospital.  

Speaking of dilon, he has become quite the little pro at giving himself his own shots. 



 I really am super impressed with how well he is handling this.  Better than me most days.  He has had a couple of tough moments when he wants to eat without having to have a shot, but sorry little dude, life has changed and unfortunately that can't happen.  The trick to his shot is being able to pinch enough fat somewhere.  The kid is 9 and weighs 49 pounds.  I will gladly give him a handful or two of my fat.

He has caught on to carb counting super fast and remembers insulin doses much better than I can at this stage of the game.  I am still completely overwhelmed with the forever aspect of this.  If I take it day by day all is well.  When I picture him doing this forever my heart hurts.  I feel like I still have so much to learn, so much I don't understand about diabetes.  I will learn....eventually.

I am grateful that he is old enough to (somewhat) understand what is going on.  I don't know how parents who have really little ones with diabetes do it.  I keep thinking, what would I do if this were Baylor or Dax?  Look at Baylor for example:

How do you ever keep up on insulin for a kid who lives in the fridge?



No comments:

Post a Comment