Wednesday, January 2, 2013

Merry Merry Christmas

There are really no words to describe our Christmas this year.  All I can say is  someone blessed our lives beyond measure and we are so incredibly grateful.  Whoever it may be I hope and pray the blessings will be returned tenfold.  
I had been struggling knowing that this Christmas wouldn't be as.....what's the right word to use here?.......lets just say as plentiful as other years may have been.  Nate kept reassuring me that it didn't matter. We were forgetting the whole meaning of Christmas.  I hate it when he is right.  The thing I was struggling with is how to explain to my littles why all their friends may have gotten more than them.  We had our family home evening about the true meaning of Christmas. They know it's not just about presents.  I still didn't want them disappointed.... I'm a mom. Then I realized I needed to get over it. So what if they weren't getting as much as other kids.  Why in the world does it matter?  In fact, it may be good for them.  Once I realized that, I knew everything would be fine and boy was it ever.  
They ended up with more this year than they have in all their other Christmas's combined.  We were incredibly blessed.  One (very late) night Nate was sitting on the couch in his unders (as always) and I was looking super hot once again, just out of the shower, pj's, big fluffy pink robe, slippers etc. when the doorbell rang.  So we started fighting over trying to decide who was going to answer it.  I lost the battle and when I opened the door I about peed my pants.  I may have said a word I shouldn't have.  I hope whoever had been there was not within ear shot. There was a very nice pile of gifts and food for us.  And when I say nice pile, I mean it looked like they bought the whole store.

 Dilon kept saying "how did we get so lucky?"  It's not about luck. We are incredibly blessed.  More than we deserve.  There is one thing I have learned these last couple of weeks.  With as much hatred and evil as there is in the world, there is still so much good.  People with such amazing hearts that they will never truly know how their kind deeds bless others.

We had an incredible Christmas.








This is a year that I know will never be forgotten.  I cannot wait for the day that we can pay it forward.

On another Christmas related note, let me tell you again what an awesome mother I am.  Dilon is 9 and is was still a believer.  He asked me several months ago if Santa was legit (after he found out from a teacher that the tooth fairy was not. That was super awesome by the way).  So I asked him what he thought and he said "of course I think he's real".  Sweet.  He was all pumped for Christmas.  Then about a week before the big day I asked him to run out to the shed to get me something.   A couple minutes later he walked in and said "mom, that is the worst hiding place ever".  Crappy dappy doo.  I forgot we had the main Santa present out there.  Since they weren't getting a lot for Christmas we couldn't switch any gifts around.  There was no way to avoid telling him the truth.  I shattered a kids heart about Santa a week before Christmas.  What kind of a mother does that?  His response to the whole thing was "how do you get the money to pay for all that?  Excellent question my young friend.  So, we were able to at least explain to the oldest why Christmas might not be as over the top as other years...............then the door bell rang one night and all of that changed. 

1 comment:

  1. you deserve it! what a neat experience. i'm glad you guys had a great christmas!

    ps- i LOVE that your reaction at the doorstep was a "choice word." HILARIOUS! i kind of hope some little child was listening, and reported back to their family, "guess what she said when she opened the door!!!" hahaha. such a funny mental picture!

    ReplyDelete